Funding Opportunities for Food Manufacturers
The Government of Canada provides multiple funding options to support Canadian companies as they grow. These programs are designed for businesses from early stage/ startup through to more mature businesses poised for expansion and growth. Programs are offered at the federal, regional, and provincial levels.
Navigate Food Safety Solutions is an approved Supplier of Service by CBDC in PEI, New Brunswick, and Quebec. Navigate is also an approved third-party trainer within the Work Place Training Program through Skills PEI.
To assist you in making informed business decisions, we've created a list of programs that may be useful for you!
|Strategic Improvement Assistance -
40% of eligible costs
|Up to $20,000 in assistance in total. Up to two applications per business within a 12-month period||Examples of eligible activities include (this list is representative, not exhaustive):
|Food Product Development Assistance:
|50% of project costs to a maximum contribution of $50,000 per business. The combined project funding from all non-repayable government sources cannot exceed 75% of eligible costs.
HST is not covered
|Multiple projects may be submitted by one business; however, the maximum approval amount to one business in a 12-month period shall not exceed $50,000.
Approved projects that have not started by the end of a twelve-month period will expire, and a new application will need to be submitted and approved.
An eligible business can access support for commercialization activities related to:
Small Business Assistance:
To be considered a new small business, a business much apply within the first 12 months of operation from the registration date.
|Professional fees. 50% of eligible costs
The combined project funding from all non-repayable government sources cannot exceed 75% of eligible costs.
HST is not covered
|Up to $2,500 in eligible costs for a business plan or market research
Up to $5,000 in eligible costs for projects related to operational efficiencies, internal planning or processes, and quality assurance
Examples of eligible projects include (this list is representative, not exhaustive):
|Consulting Advisory Service:
|Up to 75% of eligible costs, including:
Eligible CAS participants can access the CAS Initiative for any of the following activities:
1. Diagnostic assessments: to conduct a thorough review of all aspects of an existing operation to provide an objective assessment of its current performance, key issues, and future prospects.
2. Business Management Development Practices: To undertake a comprehensive review of the management skills of an existing organization in order to provide an objective assessment of its current status and identify opportunities to enhance operations/management performance. This will ensure that the organization maximizes its growth potential and job creation over the long term. Consulting services for the review, development, and implementation of Board Governance policies and procedures, legal consulting for contracts, HR, etc., or any other topics deemed appropriate, can also be covered in this category.
3. Access to Capital: To source other options for capital beyond government sources of financing. A consultant with expertise in this field will assist the client with the development of a business plan and funding proposals. Not intended for new start-ups.
4. Market Readiness/Export Potential: To undertake an objective assessment of an existing organization to determine its export readiness and identify areas that require enhancement to successfully enter the export market. The analysis would be carried out following discussions with the trade experts at the federal and provincial levels. This assessment should increase the organization’s chances of success.
5. Specific Studies/Business Plan Mentoring: To assist an organization with the development and initial implementation of a study or business plan. It is intended that the Consultant provide guidance and direction while the actual plan is prepared by the organization.
6. Aftercare/Mentoring and Follow-up: To provide mentoring or assistance to a client who has proceeded with the implementation of advice/ strategies developed in any of the above described CAS products.
If you're looking to finance your next expansion or start a new business, we can help! Our repayable funding is interest-free and unsecured. You could get up to 50% of the capital you need to grow your business or launch a new one.
We also support business growth activities. You could get an interest-free contribution to cover up to 75% of the costs for:
- staff training
- efficiency studies
- marketing/trade activities
- productivity improvements
- quality assurance
- environmental management systems
How to apply:
Contact your nearest ACOA office to discuss your project and then complete and submit the Application for financial assistance.
For more information, visit https://www.canada.ca/en/atlantic-canada-opportunities/services/business-development-program.html
|Boost Your Business Technology:
|The grant covers up to 90% of the eligible cost of retaining the services of a digital advisor, up to a maximum grant value of $15,000 per SME, to develop a digital adoption plan.||Businesses also have the opportunity to secure a 0% interest loan from the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) to facilitate the acquisition of new technology. In addition, applicants can leverage the help of talented post-secondary students and recent graduates through subsidized work placements up to $7,300.
Before applying, your business must meet all of the following eligibility criteria:
Disclaimer: We provide this list for your information purposes only. It is not exhaustive. Funders may change program features, create new programs and alter requirements at any time. Please conduct your own research, contact your government agency, and as always, reach out to us for a chat.
We make every effort to support companies in their funding process, including ensuring good alignment between the work we propose in any project and the desired outcomes of a given program. At all times, we work in the best interest of your company.
If you are aware of other programs that are not included on our list - we would be happy to hear about them!